Sign in to follow this  
Mac

CAS Comment-Mac

In a CAS environment with one or two attackers prosecuting a set of targets, just one Forward Air Controller should be sufficient. However, should there be two uncoordinated attackers, a single FAC will have considerable difficulty coordinating the two. I'm sure, in normal circumstances, two uncoordinated attackers would be a rare occurrence. But there are situations in real life, say with two aircraft from different countries, that two attackers are uncoordinated.

Now, in an environment where there are more than two ships attacking, having two coordinated FAC's make the entire scenario flow very smooth. You can see the suitability of this concept in Carrier Ops where you have Marshall and Tower. Both of these dangerous scenarios need to be extremely structured so everyone flying can concentrate on "Aviate, Navigate, and Communicate". What I was flying Saturday, obviously a training and evaluation mission, was exactly that and it all went like clockwork.

Imagine having an entire SEAD squadron, an entire squadron of CAS flights, a Section for CAP, and even one or two dust-off helos all in a mix around a small area of operation with ground troops in actual contact.

• Like 1

I moved your post over to the ready room here.

Thank you for the comments. Just to clarify on names, the 'marshall' controller is the TAC/A (Tactical Air Controller/Airborne) and the FAC/A is like the 'paddles'. Other than that you exactly put to words what we are doing.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

vVMFA-251 is a virtual DCS World F/A-18C squadron flying the Belsimtek/Eagle Dynamics F/A-18C module exclusively. We focus on real-world tactics as best we can within the DCS Wold environment.

vVMFA-251 is not your run of the mill DCS World squadron.

"Custos Caelorum"
DCS World Simple Radio TACview LotAtc