Sign in to follow this  
Zipper

A few lessons learned....

Hey guys just want to share a couple of things from the flight this morning....

First off, involving AWACS as I understood it previously:

Bogey dope is BRA call of bandits in relation to your aircraft

Picture is BULLSEYE of bandits closest to AO

Vector to threat is BULLSEYE of bandits closest to your aircraft

However, DCS doesn't seem to have a vector to threat. I couldn't get AWACS to give me a BULLSEYE of bandits closest to my aircraft. Using picture, it gave me the BULLS of some contacts very far away at over 150mi, then using bogey dope right afterward, it gave me a BRA call to a much closer contact at 50mi. However like I said, I couldn't seem to find a way to make it give me the BULLS of the closer contact at 50mi. I hope someone can chime in and explain what I'm getting wrong

Now involving Raygun/Buddy spike calls:

Make sure to include BULLSEYE info and angles in your Raygun/Buddy spike calls. So if you're making a raygun call, include the BULLSEYE of the contact you have bugged/STT, and if you're making the buddy spike call, include your BULLSEYE info.

Example: You lock a contact at BULLSEYE 292 for 41 at 25000 (Top left yellow numbers in RDR DDI)

Your call on TAC:

"Raygun 292 for 41 angles 25"

Response you should get from friendly (Hopefully):

"Buddy spike 292 for 41 angles 25"

If you hear a Raygun call over TAC, pay attention to your BULLSEYE (Bottom middle yellow numbers in RDR DDI), and do it even if you are not getting spiked, because once we get TWS we can make these calls without STT. Then if the Raygun call matches your BULLS, make a buddy spike call and confirm your BULLSEYE. Remember that altitude calls are very important too, as it helps your wingmen to know what altitude brackets to scan and helps to sort aircraft close together. When calling out BULLSEYE contacts to your wingman, remember that friendly altitudes are called in using "Angels", and bandits/bogeys are in "thousands of feet".

Some BFM/ACM brevity and tips:

"Hounddog"- When you are offensive on a bandit and are soon about to take a shot.

"Tally"- Visual on enemy contact. Opposite is "No Joy"

"Visual"- Visual on friendly contact. Opposite is "Blind"

"On the perch"- Indicates you are circling above the engagement in a support role.

While there's way too much to cover here, just remember in a furball to keep talking! Even if you don't know the proper way to say it, its important to keep the communication going. If you have eyes on a bandit, make sure to make a "TALLY" call, and when/if you lose him, call "No Joy". This is important because for example, if I hear my wingman call "TALLY", then ill go lighter on comms to keep it clear since he can see what the bandit is doing, and only call out important info that he might be overlooking. As soon as he calls "No Joy", Im flooding comms with all the info I can, and calling out the bandits every move. Also call out whether you are offensive or defensive, as this will help your wingman to know where you are in the fight.

So quick example:

Wingman (Lead in this example): "Lead, merged with fishbed, offensive left single circle, bandit low, Hounddog"

You: "2, Tally, Visual, moving to the perch, supporting"

In this case, Lead is in a left hand turn, single circle fight, higher than the bandit (Mig-21), and behind him, about to take a shot. It should make sense to the wingman then when he sees 2 contacts, that lead is the one higher and behind, since the bandit is lower and defensive. Once -2 has eyes he calls "TALLY, VISUAL", indicating he has eyes on 1 bandit, and 1 friendly, as he moves to a supporting position.

Also note its important to sort the roles depending on how the engagement progresses. Lead is not necessarily always shooter, and if -2 sees that he is in a better offensive position, he can call shooter, in which case Lead will assume the support role. Its common to have several role reversals in the middle of the engagement. As support, don't maneuver with your wingman or the bandit, instead take a position where you can maneuver out of plane with the bandit, so you can quickly swoop in and reverse rolls and become shooter if necessary.

A few other things we noticed:

Neither Mac nor myself would get spikes on our RWR whenever we locked each other up. Tried multiple times. Assuming its a DCS bug

At the start of the mission my radar elevation worked just fine, however at some point it stopped working no matter what i tried. Probably a bug

And something I found out, if you have GUN selected, you cannot get the radar out of ACM mode.

• Like 3

Excellent stuff here Zipper. I have a question relating to this and the mission Thursday on the Raygun/Buddy calls specific to the Harrier.  You mentioned above: 

"Now involving Raygun/Buddy spike calls: Make sure to include BULLSEYE info and angles in your Raygun/Buddy spike calls. So if you're making a raygun call, include the BULLSEYE of the contact you have bugged/STT, and if you're making the buddy spike call, include your BULLSEYE info."

Since we have no radar in the Harrier, do we want to provide just an estimate on the Buddy Spike call "if you're making the buddy spike call, include your BULLSEYE info."?  Reason I ask is that without radar we don't have the same info. I am no Air to Air guy, so this is new territory for me, so if I misunderstood or off base in anyway, please correct. 

You misspelled "Angels". In this case, the ambiguity ("angles off a direction" versus brevity for altitude "Angels") is important to make clear in your post.

That said, I NEEDED what you wrote so BADLY this morning. I felt so bad that I got so mixed up in the fights. You have no idea how much your words do for me. Thank you so much, Zipper. And, I didn't know about the "Angles" for friendly and thousands of feet for a bandit/bogey.

16 hours ago, Plague said:

Excellent stuff here Zipper. I have a question relating to this and the mission Thursday on the Raygun/Buddy calls specific to the Harrier.  You mentioned above: 

"Now involving Raygun/Buddy spike calls: Make sure to include BULLSEYE info and angles in your Raygun/Buddy spike calls. So if you're making a raygun call, include the BULLSEYE of the contact you have bugged/STT, and if you're making the buddy spike call, include your BULLSEYE info."

Since we have no radar in the Harrier, do we want to provide just an estimate on the Buddy Spike call "if you're making the buddy spike call, include your BULLSEYE info."?  Reason I ask is that without radar we don't have the same info. I am no Air to Air guy, so this is new territory for me, so if I misunderstood or off base in anyway, please correct. 

Thats a great question. Im not quite sure how to answer, its been a while since I flew the Harrier. So does it not tell you somewhere what your current BULLS is?

• Like 1

Looking around the forums, it looks like current bulls info is not implemented yet in the harrier. At least I think...

I suppose one way to do it would be to set a WP with the same coordinates as the BULLS, then selecting that WP would tell you what your BRG and RNG to BULLS is, so taking the reciprocal heading would then be your position from BULLS, right? Seems like a lot of work! For now though, we have to STT in the hornet anyway to get accurate bulls info, so you'll at least get spiked. Maybe for the time being we have a buddy call specific to harriers, like "Buddy spike, harrier" or something. This would at least let everyone know not to expect bulls info, but that you are getting spiked by a friendly.

• Like 1

That makes sense. For now we will go with that, the "Buddy Spike, Harrier" then maybe try to give a bearing relative to the RWR contact I guess.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

vVMFA-251 is a virtual DCS World F/A-18C squadron flying the Belsimtek/Eagle Dynamics F/A-18C module exclusively. We focus on real-world tactics as best we can within the DCS Wold environment.

vVMFA-251 is not your run of the mill DCS World squadron.

"Custos Caelorum"
DCS World Simple Radio TACview LotAtc