Mac

If you play with it hard enough, it will fall off

After over 10 years of flights, my HOTAS Warthog has deteriorated to the point where it's almost impossible to fly with it. The stick has so much stiction that makes it very difficult fly in formation. I believe I have found a new, sealed in the box, new 1. I hope to go up and get it here in a couple hours. I should be ready to fly later on tonight.

Unfortunately, the price is unbelievably high. But, I'm so used to flying with it, I would be very unhappy if I had to use anything different. So, I'm going to have to give up frozen pizzas for the rest of my life. And, if anybody wants to help in robbing 3 or 4 banks, let me know.

How high is unbelievably high?  I see people on Fleabay selling there secondhand ones for almost as much as they paid new. 

Is it possible to get some money back on yours selling it as is or even to replace the broken worn out parts from Thrustmaster? Seems a shame to write it off. 

Get the fssb r3!!!! Its the only way i would use a hog, even brand new mine had sticktion and center slop

Got a new TMHW. No stiction, tight center, $299.99 Canadian. The old one, in addition to the severe stiction problem, has most of the paint worn off on the trigger and other buttons. It's sure seen some action, that's for sure.

All day yesterday, I pulled the old one apart. Had to cut one wire (again). One cannon plug wire broken from last breakdown. I filed down the rocking axis and the axle caps to it. I used the same teflon grease on the outside that I had used several times before. The rocking axis now moves as if hung mid-air. Awesome. Placing it back into the tilting cap, with no downward pressure, it's movement was buttery smooth. But place the least little bit of pressure on the axes causes severe stiction just with my fingers. I worked all day trying to find out why. I got tired and just gave up, boxing all the parts to work on it later.

Putting the tools away, I grabbed the teflon grease and put it's cap back on... OMG: stiction on the damm grease container's cap! TEFLON??? It's slippery as hell on metal and even on my fingers (no jokes, please!) but although it's safe on plastic, it doesn't WORK on plastic. The stuff is extremely expensive and used for sailboat winches which works on my sailboat's three winches (which have various types of metal components inside.) I have another (cheaper) type of (non-teflon) winch grease which I will head to the boat and retrieve today or tomorrow. I'll give that a test on the plastic axes. If that doesn't work, I'll see if I can get the (expensive) grease that everyone is yelling at me to get.

I did the exact same to mine. Tried 2 diff types of grease as well, non teflon, neither made much difference. I smoothed over the gimbal ball with 1500 sandpaper, smoothed out the little holes where the plugs go, the whole kit and kabuttle. Nadda. Never could get it right, my plan was to get a VKB or virpil base to use with it (or fssb but dont really need since i have x65) when i have more money to burn

Well, I did get the inside ball and plugs in those holes to move very, very well. So, the outside tilt cap should be able to be smoothed, too. I'll just have to work on it. I'll go over everything with 300, then 800, then 1500 sandpaper like you. I have lots of time to get it right. The thing is: my new one moves smoothly. Why can't I get the old one to do it?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

vVMFA-251 is a virtual DCS World F/A-18C squadron flying the Belsimtek/Eagle Dynamics F/A-18C module exclusively. We focus on real-world tactics as best we can within the DCS Wold environment.

vVMFA-251 is not your run of the mill DCS World squadron.

"Custos Caelorum"
DCS World Simple Radio TACview LotAtc