Hey, Welcome to the forums!  If you have read the MAG-31 Forum posts you probably have a pretty good understanding of what our squadron is about.  We are a pretty serious squadron and are currently following an extensive training workup in preparation for the F18C.

I would recommend stopping by our TeamSpeak when you get a chance.  You can pretty much talk to anyone of our pilots for more details on the squadron. (I'll pm you the details on TS information). The next step is to do an initial flight/ checkride so that we can get a better feel for you as a person and your skills. (I am sure you will do fine).

Anyways I look forward to flying with you.

Don't Forget to register to the fourm!

Roman

Hey Gents.  @Highway @Plague I'm available pretty much most days usually after 1200 EST and it varies on weekends, but nights work best.  

How do I setup doing an orientation flight and getting in on squad nights? 

Edit: went back and saw the posts.  My apologies, still getting accustomed to this forum.  Standing by for the next steps.

Thanks guys.

Pop onto Teamspeak and say hi and we can get a Checkride planned for you. 

PM inbound with TS address and pw

3 hours ago, Guest Geko said:

Hello,

I saw a BasicToFinal post on Hoggit, got my attention and I figured I'd check out the group, see if it'd be a good fit as I anxiously await the Hornet. US Central TZ, I'm in my 30s, work a 9-5 so I'm available most nights and weekends. Fairly busy with life and other hobbies but can usually dedicate a few hours at a time several times a week to gaming. Avid combat sim flyer for the last 15+ years, playing DCS on and off since the A10C beta, ramping back up with the coming Hornet, and getting a decent setup together, now that I fly mainly in VR I'm loving it more than ever. Don't own the Harrier yet, as interesting as I think the AV-8b is, I was trying to avoid buying an early access module for $60 without a firm timeline of completion... but I could probably be persuaded to buy it.

Read through a lot of the docs in the beginner section and I was encouraged by what I read. I've always been interested in getting into realistic co-op flying more than PVP, mainly because PVP seems to devolve into air-quake all too quickly these days  (I'm extremely competitive and would enjoy realistic PVP immensely).  I'm far from an expert or even very good in a lot of the procedures but am a fairly competent A10 pilot (basic operations, most of the systems, poorly AAR, all weapons employment in most modes, know what a Z diagram is even if I'm terrible at executing one hah) I enjoy learning the systems and tactics and learning how to use them the way a real pilot would. I'm anxious to get into more of the details and get *good* at the Hornet, I'm sure I'll need plenty of instruction but I'm eager to learn. Want to make sure that I get in with a group of like minded people who enjoy the realism and want to teach it, but are also laid back, have a good sense of humor and don't take themselves too seriously (most of the time heh). The idea of emulating a Marine Hornet squadron is great, love Marine aviation and the idea behind it, I'm happy to ground pound all day, love the Hornet.

Would I fit in here?

Cheers-

Salute Geko,

I think you will find us to be right up your alley and I'm glad you decided to give us a try. I have given you access to the rest of our forum and you should now have access to your pilot's logbook. I look forward to flying with you and if you have any questions please let us know. 

Aight, I'm a bit late so here I go!

Name's Ben, run by the name FreshGiant usually. I've been into doing combat flight sims since around 2015, wanted to fly all my life. Currently planning on saving up for flight lessons in real life and attempting to eventually get into EMS, however if I can't make it into that realm I'll settle for delta or somethin'. 

Guest Megohm

Hi Pilots...Larry Jones here aka Megohm.  I would like to get back on board. Looks like I do have the time now after traveling around the country for the last yearish.

I have a deal with Home Fries to make skins for the Squad. Some of you might know his work.

So loving the Harrier!

<S>

50 minutes ago, Guest Megohm said:

Hi Pilots...Larry Jones here aka Megohm.  I would like to get back on board. Looks like I do have the time now after traveling around the country for the last yearish.

I have a deal with Home Fries to make skins for the Squad. Some of you might know his work.

So loving the Harrier!

<S>

Hey,

How is it going?  Long time no see. Good to hear from you> Thanks for the Skins information. We have open slots for when you are available.  Please review the MAG-31 info. ITs nothing you have not already seen, But we make everyone look at it.  Highway will be scheduling your orientation ride when you are available.  if you need anything let me know.

CH53E 

1 hour ago, Guest Megohm said:

So loving the Harrier!

<S>

Hey,

Great to have you with us!  Look forward to meeting you and flying with you. I will get you added to the Roster and will get Highway going with an On-Wing and get your MAG-31 and FAMs knocked out. 

Hi Megohm, what is your availability like? 

Let me know what days and times you're available. 

Thanks and welcome to the squadron. 

Guest Megohm
3 hours ago, Highway said:

Hi Megohm, what is your availability like? 

Let me know what days and times you're available. 

Thanks and welcome to the squadron. 

All; Thanks for the Welcoming words.

Tried registering but get a failed security check. I will try again shortly.

I am available any night of the week. But unavailable every other weekend. I am out this weekend 4/27-4/29/18. I split my time between VA and NC.

Available rest of this week from 17:30  est/dst.

<S>

To tlhaskell: I assume you got the questions I sent from Home Fries that need to be answered for the Skins?

5 minutes ago, Guest Megohm said:

All; Thanks for the Welcoming words.

Tried registering but get a failed security check. I will try again shortly.

I am available any night of the week. But unavailable every other weekend. I am out this weekend 4/27-4/29/18. I split my time between VA and NC.

Available rest of this week from 17:30  est/dst.

<S>

To tlhaskell: I assume you got the questions I sent from Home Fries that need to be answered for the Skins?

Yes I did and the squadron is getting me input on what we want.  

Im sorry I'm a little lost with this skin business.  I thought Plague was making the skins, like he did with the Harrier. 

5 minutes ago, Highway said:

Im sorry I'm a little lost with this skin business.  I thought Plague was making the skins, like he did with the Harrier. 

I don't mind doing them if we have no one else to. However, my work isn't...artistic or very good, as other's might be lol. 

Guest Megohm

Sorry guys I didn't mean to confuse anyone.

When the Squad first formed, I made a deal with Home Fries to make Skins for the F18 when the Module came out and the template was released.

He skinned the SU 25 for us back then and we used them to practice Carrier landings.

Not trying to step on anyone's toes here. The deal was struck long ago, so we will be getting them anyway unless you want me let HF know we don't need them.

With that said, I would propose we let him fulfill his deal and when received, the Squad or CO can choose.

Here is the scope (depending on the answers given to these questions).

From HF:

Meg,

Now that we're getting a bit closer to the Hornet release and I have some more time on my hands, I'm starting to think about how to move forward. We know there's a new 3D model and a new template coming out, so work will start with that. With the devil in the details, I have some questions for you. I don't need answers right away, but just mull them over and discuss it with your squadron mates.

1. I assume you want the line birds with squadron members' names and callsigns. Was there anything else you would like for personalized skins (e.g. BuNo)? Do you want a name on the CAG bird?
  2. Along similar lines, I am planning on distributing a PSD file that has the completed nose texture with a way to add your own names/callsigns for new members (similar to the one I gave you for the Su-33). Is there anything else you would like future control over after I release the first batch?
  3. Being that this is a Marine squadron (and Marines don't usually wear shoulder patches unless it's all uniform), what if anything would you like on the pilots' shoulders? Chest will already be black nametags and squadron patches. FYI, if the hornet pilot model goes from the A-10 model to the F-15 model, I will also include a PSD for personalized squadron nametags.
  4. Would you prefer woodland or desert flightsuits?
  5. Being familiar with my skins, you may also be familiar with my installer that allows for conventional or compact installs. Would you like me to create an NSIS installer for you that is easy to edit when you want to add new members, or would you prefer to have the textures distributed in the livery folders as zips like most skins? FYI the VAF uses a version of my installer for their A-10s.

My plan is to start with the line bird, then do the CAG bird. FWIW, even though VMFA-251 is one of the stock skins included with the bug, I still plan to do your birds based on the TR/Enterprise deployments (like the Su-33). More to follow.

Best,
Don

Also a thought: perhaps woodland flightsuits for home cycle aircraft and desert flightsuits for deployed (e.g. TR/Enterprise).

Oh no worries, not stepping on mine. I just put together skins so we had something for the Harrier. Like I said nothing great really, so if we have someone willing to make them I am all about it. I am no artist and what I have done is very basic and...functional lol.  Would be great to have legit ones made since my capabilities with skinning only go so far. As for me I am all about it if he wants to make them.

CH has a thread up in the forum (guessing you don't have full access yet), where I put up my thoughts on these questions. I know we are having a meeting Thurs that will prolly get you the answers for these questions.  Thanks btw for working this out, I look forward to seeing what Home Fries can do! :)

Guest Gaspipe

Hi all,

Been following for awhile and am interested in flying with you guys.  Am currently a 15k hour airline pilot in the US from a civilian background and have a ton of flight sim experience (Falcon, BMS, DCS, etc).  

Tried to register but get the "Security check failed" error.

Thanks and look forward to flying with you.

Gas

Hi Gaspipe,

I’m sorry about the web site registration issue.  Please make sure you have java enabled in your browser. If you still can’t register after doing that please send me a PM and I will get you squared away. We have been bombarded with spam botz as of late and we are trying new ways to deal with them.

2 hours ago, Guest Gaspipe said:

Hi all,

Been following for awhile and am interested in flying with you guys.  Am currently a 15k hour airline pilot in the US from a civilian background and have a ton of flight sim experience (Falcon, BMS, DCS, etc).  

Tried to register but get the "Security check failed" error.

Thanks and look forward to flying with you.

Gas

Hey Gaspipe, great to have you with us! Look forward to meeting you and flying with you. Sometime soon our OpsO or AOpsO, Highway or Mac, will get with you for your On-Wing assign and get your check and FAM flights complete.

Again, welcome! 😊

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

VMFA-251 is a virtual DCS World F/A-18C squadron flying the Belsimtek/Eagle Dynamics F/A-18C module exclusively. We focus on real-world tactics as best we can within the DCS Wold environment.

VMFA-251 is not your run of the mill DCS World squadron.

"Custos Caelorum"
DCS World Simple Radio TACview LotAtc